The Newburgh School District has received a formal letter of intent about the "Newburgh Prep" charter proposal. The letter explains that a public hearing about the proposal should occur within a month. This is the charter school proposed by Tom Fitzgerald.
Some notes on the proposal...
- "Key design elements of Newburgh Prep's program include: 1) a school year of approximately 215 days; 2) a school building open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. each school day; 3) classes in session from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m...." first page of document.
- "Objective: Newburgh Prep's primary objective is to provide students who have not completed high school with an opportunity to graduate from high school and to prepare them for college and career", p 3.
- Projected enrollment is 105 for year one (2013-14 school year), growing to 305 year five, p 7.
- Founding group and proposed Board of Trustees spelled out on pp 40-41.
- "Newburgh Prep will follow and uphold the Open Meetings Law." p 42.
- School's proposed location is 121-123 Broadway, p 50.
- "The NECSD is responsible for providing transportation services for Newburgh Prep students...", p 52.
- There is a letter of support from the NECSD, signed by Superintendent Pizzo and Board President Fucheck, p 60.
- Admissions Policy begins after the page numbered 62. "Because Newburgh Prep is designed to serve the needs of students who have dropped out of high school, graduating 8th grade students are not eligible to apply to the school."